Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Total Time: 17 minute
- Yield: 2–3 Ice Cream Sandwiches 1x
This is the best sourdough chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich you’ll ever eat! Cold and creamy vanilla ice cream stuffed between two soft and chewy sourdough chocolate chip cookies. This delicious ice cream sandwich is made with simple, clean ingredients like coconut sugar, coconut oil, and pastured eggs, and lightly sweetened with coconut sugar. The sourdough chocolate chip cookies are perfectly soft on the inside and chewy in the middle. Plus, the cookies are naturally fermented so they’re gut healthy.
Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 100–105g Organic All Purpose Flour* (I used Organic King Arthur All Purpose Flour)
- 100g Coconut Sugar (100%)
- 40g Melted Organic Refined Coconut Oil (40%)
- 27g Pastured Egg (Roughly 1/2 Egg) (27%)
- 30g Sourdough Starter (30%). Must be active starter.
- 2g Sea Salt (2%)
- 1/8 + 1/16 TSP Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup Mini Organic Dark Chocolate Chips (or to your liking!)
- Vanilla Ice Cream (I love Van Leeuwen Vanilla Ice Cream)
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg and add using a spoon add 27g to a medium bowl.
- Melt coconut oil until it becomes liquid (warm but not hot). Now add coconut sugar, sourdough starter, salt, and coconut oil to the medium bowl (with the egg).
- Using a spoon, mix ingredients together until combined.
- Now add flour, chocolate chips, and baking soda. Using the back of your spoon and/or your hands combine all ingredients until you form a ball.
- Place your dough covered in a small Tupperware or wrap it in saran wrap. Be sure the dough is tightly sealed so it doesn’t become dry on the outside.
- Ferment your dough (at room temperature) on your counter for 10+ hours. You can ferment overnight or during the day, whatever works best for your schedule.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350f.
- Divide cookie dough into 4-6 cookies, depending on how large you want your cookies to be. I like each cookie to weigh around 50-55g.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look soft.
- Remove from the oven and let cookies fully cool on the baking sheet (at least 1 hour)*. After 10 minutes, you can also pop them in the fridge or freezer to speed up the process. *It’s important to let the cookies cool so the ice cream doesn’t get too melty when you’re creating the ice cream sandwich.
- Flip a cooled cookie over and place a scoop of ice cream on top. Use your scoop to gently spread the ice cream to the edges. Sandwich a cookie on top and gently press it all together.
- Roll sides into mini chocolate chips. Be quick during this process!
- Now place the ice cream sandwiches on a plate and place them in the freezer for 15 minutes (so it firms up a bit). And that’s it! Enjoy!
- If you’re not enjoying them right away, keep ice cream sandwiches on the plate in the freezer until it’s completely firm (this can be 2-3 hours or overnight) and then place them in a freezer bag or closed Tupperware.
*For thinner cookies use 100g of flour and for thicker cookies use 105g of flour.
- Fermentation Time: 10+ hours
- Cook Time: 8-12 Minutes
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie, Sourdough Ice Cream Sandwich
Can you use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour?
Hi! The cookies will definitely turn out drier. I would recommend white spelt flour, ap flour (organic stone ground is what I do), or you can try 50/50 AP and Whole Wheat. Keep me posted on how you like them!
Hi! Could you use almond flour instead of all purpose in this recipe? I am trying to make it paleo-ish. Appreciate your help!
Hi Abigail! I don’t recommend replacing it. But are you gluten intolerant non-celiac? I was paleo/grain-free for years and transitioned my diet to incorporate fermented grains (never looked back, remained symptom free)… if you’re open to it, you could give it a try!