Sourdough Brioche Buns
- Total Time: 24 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 Buns 1x
This is the best sourdough brioche bun you’ll ever eat! Soft and fluffy on the inside and the perfect staple for hamburgers, sandwiches, or a brioche ice cream sandwich. My sourdough brioche bun recipe is made with simple ingredients like extra virgin olive oil, pastured eggs, and a touch of raw honey. No refined sugars or yeast! And the best part? They’re naturally fermented so they are gut healthy and nutritious.
Sourdough Brioche Bun Ingredients:
- 350g Bread Flour
- 120g Milk of choice* or water (34.29%)
- 120g Sourdough Starter (34.29%)
- 35g Organic Olive Oil* (10%)
- 20g Raw Honey
- 1 Egg + 2 Egg Yolks
- 12g Barley Malt Flour (optional) (3.43%)
- 7g Salt (2%)
- Egg (for egg wash)
- Butter (for butter wash)
- Feed Your Starter: You’ll want to feed your starter about 8-12 hours before you plan to mix all of the ingredients together. Since this recipe calls for 120g of active, bubbly starter, it makes sense to feed at least 80 grams of water and 80g of flour the night before.
- Mix + Bulk Ferment Dough: Mix dough and ferment for 6 -10 hours on the counter or until dough becomes puffy (doubles in size). Perform a few sets of stretch and folds periodically if you have time.
- Cold Proof, 12 – 48 hours: Place dough covered in the fridge for 12 – 36 hours.
- Shape: Lightly flour your work surface, and sprinkle a little bit of flour on top of the dough as well. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Pinch the edges to the bottom of each roll, try to round it tightly. Transfer the shaped rolls into a greased baking pan.
- Final Rise: Cover the rolls and let them proof for 3-4 hours at 70-74 degrees Fahrenheit, or until they double in volume.
- Egg Wash: Brush the top of each bun with egg wash.
- Preheat & Bake: Preheat the oven to 375F. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Optional: Once done baking, brush with the top of the buns with butter.
- Cover: Cove with thick cloth right after baking so the tops become soft.
- Let Cool: Let the buns cool for 1 hour before digging in!
*If using milk, warm slightly so that it’s not cold. Almond milk, kefir, and or raw milk will all work.
*If you’d prefer to use butter instead of olive oil, increase t0 50g.
- Fermentation Time: 24 Hours
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Keywords: Sourdough Brioche Buns