Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough Bread (Artisan Bread Recipe)
This Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough Bread is crusty on the outside, soft on the inside, and has swirls of cinnamon and juicy raisins in every bite! This is recipe is easy to make and perfect for a beginner sourdough baker. This cinnamon raisin artisan sourdough bread is delicious for breakfast with a side of eggs or with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I love it with some grass-fed butter!
✨Health Benefits of Sourdough Bread✨
Sourdough bread is unlike any other bread because it goes through a long and slow natural fermentation with wild yeasts and lactic acid bacteria (LAB). This ancient, 6,000-year-old tradition has remarkable health benefits. A long and slow sourdough fermentation transforms wheat and other grains easy to digest because it degrades gluten, removes anti-nutrients, and breaks down FODMAPs and starches. Sourdough foods are also chock full of fiber, prebiotics, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, making it an all-around microbiome superfood.
Why is this Cinnamon Raisin Artisan Bread Healthy?
LET’S GET SPECIFIC:
Sourdough Fermentation. These bagels are naturally fermented with sourdough starter instead of a rapid fermentation with yeast. Unlike commercial fermentation, a long and slow sourdough fermentation with sourdough starter makes wheat and other grains easy to digest because it degrades gluten, removes anti-nutrients, and breaks down FODMAPs and starches. Sourdough is also chock full of fiber, prebiotics, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, making it an all-around microbiome superfood.
Organic, High-Quality Flour: I use a blend of organic (stone ground) whole wheat and white bread flour because it is richer in macronutrients like protein and fiber and micronutrients like vitamins and minerals.
Organic Raisins: I use organic raisins from Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s for this recipe.
Organic Cinnamon: Organic cinnamon is free of anything harmful and tastes SO DELICIOUS!
Clean, Simple Ingredients. Nothing artificial to make these blueberry sourdough bagesl!
Nutrition Breakdown of One Slice of Cinnamon Raisin Artisan Sourdough Bread
- 136 Calories
- 4.7g Protein (9%)
- 3.6g Fiber (13%)
- 2g Sugar (2%)
- 1.3mg Iron (7%)
- 1.9mg Vitamin B3 (10%)
- 0.1mg Vitamin B2 (6%)
Ingredients for Cinnamon Raisin Artisan Sourdough Bread
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cinnamon Raisin Artisan Bread at home.
5 CORE INGREDIENTS
- Bread Flour: A high-protein flour is needed for bagel making. You can use a white or whole wheat bread flour. King Arthur has a great bread flour that is usually widely available. I use this stone ground partially sifted whole wheat flour. I recommend using a blend of white bread flour and whole wheat flour.
- Water: Preferably warm water is best! Warmer water helps kickstart fermentation.
- Sourdough Starter: Be sure you are using active sourdough starter (not discard).
- Organic Raisins: I like to use organic Raisins from Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s
- Organic Cinnamon: I use organic cinnamon! Usually Red Ape cinnamon.
- Sea Salt: Enhances flavor (and nutrition) by slowing fermentation.
Equipment Needed for Sourdough Bagels
- Kitchen Scale – I recommend this digital scale or this non-digital scale
- Proofing Basket – I recommend this brand. If you don’t have a proofing basket, I recommend using a Tupperware that is similar in size to the proofing basked and line it with a folded cloth so it cradle the bread. If you go this route, be sure to cover you bread with a cloth to keep it from drying out.
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven – I recommend investing in this lodge cast iron. Using a covered cast iron will your bread the rise, crust, and tender crumb you’re looking for.
- Scoring Tool – I actually like to buy mine from Etsy sellers like this one but this one is also great.
- Dough Scraper