The best sourdough brown butter chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever eat. These incredible chocolate chip sourdough cookies are made with simple ingredients like coconut sugar, vanilla, dark chocolate, and a sprinkle of flakey sea salt. They’re perfectly crispy on the outside, and chewy in the middle, with melty chocolate in every single bite. Plus, this recipe calls for a natural fermentation with sourdough starter so they’re gut-healthy too!
- 200g Organic All Purpose Flour* (I used Organic King Arthur All Purpose Flour)
- 170g Unsalted Cold Butter
- 125g Coconut Sugar
- 125g Cane Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 44g Sourdough Starter, Active
- 4g Sea Salt
- 2 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 TSP Baking Soda
- 150g Chocolate Chips or 1 Chocolate Bar, Coarsley Chopped
- Flaky Salt, For topping
- First, start by melting 170g of butter over medium heat on the stove. The butter will begin to crackle, and then eventually foam. Make sure you whisk constantly during this process. After a couple of minutes, the butter will begin to brown and turn a nice golden amber color on the bottom of the saucepan. Continue to whisk and remove from heat as soon as the butter begins to brown and give off a nutty aroma. Immediately transfer the butter to a medium bowl to prevent burning. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes or until cool enough to touch.
- Add cooled and melted butter to a mixing bowl along with sugar, salt, sourdough starter, and vanilla extract. Mix together until just combined.
- Now add flour and baking soda. Using the back of your spoon and/or your hands combine all ingredients until you form a dough. Do not over-mix. Now stir in chips or chopped chocolate until just combined.
- Place the dough covered in a small Tupperware or wrapped in plastic wrap. Be sure the dough is tightly sealed so it doesn’t become dry on the outside.
- Ferment the covered dough at room temperature for 6-8 hours. You can either bake right away or transfer the covered dough to the fridge until you’re ready to bake, whatever works best for your schedule.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Divide and roll the cookie dough into 10-12 cookies, depending on how large you want your cookies to be. I like each cookie to weigh around 20-30g.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with flakey sea salt. Let cookies fully cool on the baking sheet. Enjoy!
- Store baked sourdough cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for 6 days. To reheat, bake in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 5 minutes. You can also store cookie dough in an airtight container and refrigerate for 2-4 days or in freezer for up to 3 months.