Cheesy, crispy nacho cheddar cheese sourdough bagels made with three types of cheese for an incredible breakfast bagel everyone will love! This sourdough bagel recipe is easy to make and topped with all the nacho essentials like corn chips and guacamole. Perfect for a special Sunday brunch or anytime you need a delicious, cheesy bagel!
- 360g Organic Bread Flour, A high protein flour is needed for bagel making
- 30g Whole Wheat Flour or whole grain flour of choice
- 200g Water, Preferably warm water is best (Warmer water helps kickstart fermentation!)
- 100g Sourdough Starter
- 40g Grass-Fed Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 8g Sea Salt, Enhances flavor and nutrition by slowing fermentation
- 10g Honey, I use raw honey
- 5–6 Corn Chips, Crushed
- 1/4 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 100g Mozzarella, Cheddar, & Monterey, Shredded
CREAM CHEESE (FOR ONE SERVING):
- 1 TBSP Guacamole
- 2 TBSP Cream Cheese
- In a bowl, add all bagel ingredients. Mix by hand for a couple of minutes until a ball forms.
- Let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes covered in a tupperware or container.
- Now, knead the dough for 1-2 minutes or until the dough looks smooth on the outside.
- Place dough in a Tupperware and cover securely. Let the dough rise at room temperature for 6-8 hours or until it doubles in size. *Optional (but my preferred method): Stretch and fold your dough 3 times during the first rise. I stretch and fold every 1-1.5 hours until I hit 3 sets. To do this, stretch one side of the dough up and fold it all the way over to the other side. Then, rotate the bowl and continue on all four sides.
- Once bulk fermentation is complete, dump out the dough and divide it into 6-8 square pieces using a bench scraper. You can eyeball it or weigh out 80g-120g pieces. Shape each into a ball by pulling the corners up and over. Now, use your finger to poke a hole through the center of each ball and rotate the dough with two fingers to form a ring.
- Place your bagels in a greased tupperware and cover them securely or on a greased baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the bagels are covered tightly so the tops do not dry out. Tip: Leave room on either side of the bagels so they can expand.
- Let the bagels rise for 1-2 hours at room temperature or until puffy.
- Place your bagels covered in the fridge for an overnight rise. This is where your bagels will develop flavor and L.A.B bacteria will get to work enhancing the nutrition of our dough.
- The next day, preheat oven to 400f. Fill a large, wide pot of water and bring to a boil. Drop bagels in, 1-2 at a time, making sure they have enough room to float around. Cook the bagels for 1 minute on each side and remove with a slotted spoon; drain well.
- Place on an unlined tray or plate and add bagel toppings. Add shredded cheese, diced onions, and lastly a sprinkle of crushed chips on top.
- Now, place them on a clean, parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake bagels for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown on the outside.
- While the bagels are baking, mix cream cheese and guacamole until combined.
- Let bagels cool for 10 minutes. Cut and spread a layer of guacamole cream cheese on both sides. Enjoy!
- Fermentation Time: 10+ hours
- Cook Time: 20-23 Minutes
- Category: Sourdough Bagels
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: Sourdough Bagels, Cheddar Sourdough Bagels, Cheese Sourdough Bagels